Mount Hermon Baptist Church was organized on June 24, 1848. From then until today, the members have sought to live out their commitment to love God and love our neighbor as ourselves.
On November 7, 1948, Mount Hermon joined 33 other churches to create the Yates Baptist Association, seeking to collaborate as the people of God in discipleship and outreach. The name, Yates, seeks to commemorate Matthew T. Yates, a local missionary who served in China many years.
The first few church buildings were constructed adjacent to the church cemetery. In 1961, a new sanctuary was constructed at the current address with a larger sanctuary built in 1984.
We are a church aligned to both the Southern Baptist Convention and the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship as we seek to model unity in the larger and diverse community of Baptists. We also are a part of the North Carolina Baptist Convention and the previously mentioned local association, the Yates Baptist Association. We also have adopted the Baptist Faith and Message (1963) as doctrinal guidance for us as a church.
Click here to read a more detailed history of our church.